Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Good place...

There's a place in Sooke where I go a few times a week.
Ahimsa translates to this:
     "non-judgement, non-harm, acceptance and compassion for all"
 On Wednesdays I spend 4 hours at the front desk in exchange for yoga classes.
In this beautiful studio...
I have practiced yoga off and on throughout the years and have found it incredibly beneficial.
On the coast here, where the weather is so damp, it can creep into your bones so not only 
physically for my arthritis, (yes the old body is getting creaky!) but also mentally to soothe the mind and listen to the breath.
Props are provided for both yoga...
  and  fitness classes...
Childcare is provided...
As well as lovely things for your body...
It's a peaceful, nurturing place run by two beautiful ladies, Paula and Tamara.
Paula starts her class with positive words to think about and continues that energy throughout the class.
There are a number of different classes to take but right now I'm focusing on reminding myself what I had forgotten over the past few years.
I did try to practice at home but found it hard to motivate myself and to be disciplined.
There is something energizing about being in a class with a group.
We are all at different levels but we are all on the same path.
So I'm thankful that Ahimsa has come to Sooke.
If you're in the neighborhood, come by for a drop in...you'll love it...

1 comment:

Cobalt Violet said...

OH ... I promised myself I was going to start Yoga two weeks ago and was all ready to go, only to then find out my gym (which I obviously hadn't stepped foot in for a while) was closed and being remodeled! Hmm, you have gotten me thinking and inspired to see if they've reopened. Why do we put off things that will make us feel better. Oh, maybe it's just me!