Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Monday, August 8, 2011

bees and teas...

During my second summer here, in the beginning of August, I was arrested in my footsteps
by the most heavenly scent...where was it coming from??
I had to track it down...
...and there it was..
A Linden tree!
Have you ever had the joy of taking in this intoxicating scent?
I take a deep breath as I sit here writing...
it engulfs the property and so I throw open all the doors and windows to invite 
the linden laden breeze in.
With basket in hand, I go out to pick the precious and pretty little flowers...
Before I even get there I can hear the bees at work...
Thousands of them, I'm sure...they are here collecting a most lovely pollen...
 As I work at picking flowers, I'm distracted and high on the fragrance...
No wonder this tree has so many beliefs around it.
Apparently in days of old court was held under a linden tree because it promoted a sense of justice.
Medicinally it is good for breaking a fever, detoxifying, easing stomach pain 
and promoting a restful sleep among many other things...
I think Griffin would agree on that one...
The drone of the bees under this tree on a quiet summer morning is heaven on earth to me...
There was even one working away in my basket!
The flower is a funny little thing with lime green leaf bracts.
I suppose this is why it's also called lime flower...
I spent a few hours under that big canopy with the drone of bees and the warmth of the sun.
Hypnotized, mesmerized by such a gift from nature...
Finally coming in to lay them out on the drying rack
so I can open a jar of summer in the midst of a cold and rainy winter day...


6 comments:

gz said...

and the honey is lovely too!

farmlady said...

A Linden Tree... I'm not sure that we have them here, but I do know the sound of a thousand bees overhead. Our Chinese Talon Tree is blooming and there are thousands of bees drunk with tree love in the branches. The fragrance is overwhelming. Maybe the Linden and Talon are related.
Your photos are wonderful. The close ups of the flowers are absolutely beautiful... especially the one with the bee on it.
Enjoy the moment... summer will be soon gone. Please send me a flower so I can keep summer in a jar too.

the wild magnolia said...

A very exquisite post, gorgeous photos. I especially love the photo towards the top, hauntingly beautiful linden flowers.

Your posts are such a treat.

Cobalt Violet said...

I don't think I've seen one! How lush!
I want to see one!!! ... Oh, and apparently smell one too!

lovely photos!

Glenn Jacob said...

wow if these things can mixup with roses and lilies then it will definately looks beautiful and lovely.
simplythankyou deals in wedding flowers,romantic flowers, celebration bunches and anniversary flowers.
Flower Delivery Belfast

Mary said...

Lovely linden. I love the scent, and i love your photos of the bees. I adore bees. They're extraordinary. One of the most magnificent creatures in the Universe. Of course there are many. :)