Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

foggy dew...

Yesterday was quiet and still...

The weather was soft and crept over the landscape like a sheet of gauze...
Light rain gave the world depth and muted the sounds all around us...
It brought the deer out of the forest and into the field...
I spotted them first, like ghosts hovering in the wet grass...
...and then they spotted me...
Keeping watch through the mist, and me trying to reassure them with my own stillness...
Until they felt safe and went back to the business of grazing...
I love days like this, the spring rains that keep our landscape green and mossy.
Knowing that in a short time, we'll have our hot, dry days and the deer will
seek the solace of the woods for shade and the comfort of a cool place to lay.
For now, I gaze out as if through squinted eyes, soaking up the
atmosphere of the shroud enclosing me...





1 comment:

farmlady said...

This is like taking a walk with Mary Oliver. Beautiful and ethereal.
I wish that I could walk into a group of deer and have them walk around me, accepting my presence and allowing me to be a part of their "inner circle", if only for a little while. Oh well. We can dream.
Beautiful photos. I love the ladder. What did you do to focus that ladder so well? It's just wonderful.