Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Song for Friday...happy anniversery...

This year marks the 25th anniversary of Paul Simon's album 'Graceland'.
This was huge in terms of the roots of world music coming into the forefront of pop music.
It also created much controversy because of the timing.
The world was witnessing the height of the anti apartheid movement in South Africa
and due to strict cultural boycotts sanctioned by the United Nations,
Paul Simon was not welcome by many people and became involved in a
much heated discussion for violating these sanctions.
This subject still brings up tension amongst some.
Personally I could see both sides but I tend to believe he only wanted
to speak the common language of music.
His songs were not political in any way.
In my opinion they were just great songs.
Really great songs.
So Happy Anniversary to 'Graceland'.
Have a great weekend all!

2 comments:

farmlady said...

Well, there was some controversy about this song but I like to think that it wasn't his intent.
I like the song.

Cobalt Violet said...

25 years??? Oy! Can't believe it was that long ago!
Loved the album and I still do. It's just great music. Did I hear there was going to be some sort of reunion or documentary or something? I will wrack my brain and try to remember.