Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Saltspring Island revisited...

Last year around this time of year I made a pilgrimage of sorts to
Saltspring Island, the pioneer home of my Great Grandparents, The Cairns.
You can read about those adventures here.
Tom and I took a mini two day holiday there
a few days ago and found it as beautiful as ever.
The summer tourists have gone home now so the ferry ride
over from Victoria was quiet...
As we came into Fulford Harbour, you could see the maples already turning gold...
We booked a sweet little cabin called Spindrift on Welbury Point.
They are one of many holiday spots that take dogs. I think a lot of  people want
to travel with their pets and the owners of these places are listening to what the people are asking for.
 No phone, no t.v, no wifi...
 Fully equipped kitchen, books and CBC radio...
What more do you need?
First order of the day was a walk out to the point...
 Lovely trails through Arbutus and Douglas fir down to the water...
Two little sandy beaches, excellent for swimming in the warmer weather, I'm sure...
But some will swim at any time of the year!...
After our walk we decided to do a bit of touring around and ended up in one of the
Islands oldest cemeteries which has many of the first Japanese inhabitants buried there...
 I love these places...the history mixed with the mystery of those who've gone on long ago...
Next we went on to a place that Irma and I found last year on our pilgrimage.
This is a place I could spend hours taking pictures.
They are old dairy barns, falling to ruin but trying to be saved by the locals...
The area has been turned into a provincial park called Burgoyne Bay and when
budget allows, these barns will hopefully be preserved to help keep
the story of the pioneers alive and known to future generations...
 I believe I'll do a separate post just on the close ups I took of hinges and weathered
wood, otherwise this post will be VERY long winded with photos.
In the meantime, lets walk down to the bay...
 As we walk, I'm gladly haunted by the clip clop of dairy herds who used these roads.
Of now silenced flocks of chickens in the yard...
Up into the fields where cattle grazed out lazy, summer days on the island...
We'd been exploring and walking most of the day...time to bring some food back to the cabin and
plan our wanderings for the next day.
Stay tuned!



7 comments:

Mairéad said...

Such a beautiful place for your family to have lived in but I guess life would have been tough as well as beautiful. I am not surprised it draws you back, it looks so peaceful.

Mary said...

What a breathtaking, magical place! I could sit for a long time feasting on these photos.. alas must do some errands. But i'll make sure to pore over them more later on. :) It looks like the perfect place to spend a couple of quiet, contemplative days. Others can have their 4 star resorts. I prefer beautiful water, giant trees, and animals around me!

Suz said...

this was such a beautiful post...the Japanese graves...
my my
the old farm bldgs...sigh
th cabin...oh I want to go there...
thanks for sharing..and yes...hinges and such....Im waiting to see them too

farmlady said...

I love going on these "holidays" with you. Not only is your photography beautiful, but your love of this place where you live shows through... how you see life and how you feel when you spend time there. It's almost spiritual and it's there in the pictures.
Beautiful...
Love the photo of Griffin looking into the barn and the one of you and Griff sitting together. I finally have a clear vision of you. That's nice.
Wonderful post.

Deb said...

What beautiful photos. So peaceful. so still...........

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Mairead: Yes life would have been togh. People really depended on themselves and their nieghbours in those days. No running to the shops for things you ran out of, you just did without, make do and mend and all that.
Mary: Resorts have their place like Mexicao and Hawaii but I do much prefer this feeling in a place. I feel more at home.
Suz: The oldness of a place is so intriguing isn't it?
Connie: I always feel such a strong connection with these places. I'm glad it comes through as you said. By the way, It's rare to see me in a photo since I'm always behind the lens! Tom took the helm for a few this day.
Deb: You've got that feeling right Debs, very still and peaceful. I guess thats why people flock there and why real estate prices are so high!

Cobalt Violet said...

Wow! You can really see it's autumn there! So lovely ... love the shots across the water! That cabin is so wonderful too! LOVE the Japanese cemetery .. I love there "head stones" ... all so lovely. Thanks for sharing Kerry!