Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Friday, September 15, 2017

Her reign is the summer fields...

I once knew a horse with a feathery mane of this colour...
Her body was a shade darker.
A Palomino.
The colour of dry summer wheat and grasses.
Her name was Sundance.  
One Sunday morning while I was giving out carrots at the riding stable,
I came to her stall.
She had her head sticking out over a piece of binding twine that went across the stall.
I gave her a carrot and as I walked away she tried to grab another one
and bit down hard on my upper arm and pulled me towards her with her big, strong head,
ripping my upper arm open.
I ended up with 15 stitches and a permanent scar...and a new born fear of horses.
I eventually, literally got back up on the horse (not her) and rode for many more years after that.
But I digress...I always think of that horse when I see those colours.
Summer fields bring me to daydream and remember.
These days, they are not only crisp with the Palomino grasses but also with filled with the Queen...
Queen Anne's Lace Daucus carota. 
A kin to the modern day carrot but high above it in her royal dress...
A banner year for her majesty this year...
As far as the eye can see, she billows and calls to the bees...

In grand company is the purple Canada Thistle Cirsium arvense.
An introduced species from Eurasia but happily living amongst royalty...
A fat and dewy bumble just waking up this morning...
 
A world above me, a flutter of starlings! 
My mom used to call this a Bird Wedding!
Seed heads landing delicately...
Some heads are closed for the season and show the soft cloak of spider silk...
Beautiful in her dying as well as her blooming...


Providing the fields with seeds for next summer's show...
love bugs!
Love bud!
I have been lax in blogging as of late, but now that the weather is changing and autumn is
at the gate, I hope to spend more time observing and telling tales of said visions and thoughts.
Hope you are all well and healthy and have had a joyful summertime!

5 comments:

Suzanne Jensen said...

Love how you tie all them altogether . Looking forward to the next blog

gz said...

welcome back xx
I'm used to seeing Queen Anne's Lace in the lane-side verges

Simone said...

Hi Kerry! I found you by a comment you left on Anne's blog (My Giant Strawberry). I think you have a wonderful blog with and you are so talented making your needle-felted creations.:)

kjsutcliffe said...

Beautiful

Terriea Kwong said...

Beautiful summer. I love Anne Lace too. This morning particular took some photos of it too in Ontario.