Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Project for a rainy day....

One of my favorite blogs to watch is www.the-feathered-nest.blogspot.com. It is full of inspiration and ideas. This project is a combination of two different projects of Dawn's which I put my own spin on....

Take one large old canning jar with or without the lid...if you use the lid it will help keep the dust out of your finished montage...

I had this nice glass one kicking around.

Assemble some stuff thats just waiting to be turned into something pretty.

These broken egg shells were collected last spring from the forest floor.
I discovered that this project is kind of like building a ship in a bottle and requires a steady hand and some patience...

 

Voila!  Spring in a jar...

I added a bit of an Emily Dickenson poem...

Its the sort of thing that was popular in the Victorian era when they did little terrariums with ferns and such. You could also make it with a beach theme with some sand, pebbles, shells and such.
I am thinking spring...
Have fun!

In the words of Mumford and Sons...
"And if your strife strikes at your sleep
Remember spring swaps snow for leaves..."

11 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Ohmygoodness Kerry!!! I just LOVE IT!!! I love seeing nests under glass...and yours turned out just gorgeous ~ you are so sweet to link to me and your sweet creation is so beautiful...I hope you have a wonderful, creative week!!! hugs and love, Dawn

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Hi Kerry,

I just came from Dawn's Blog (gotta Love Her ~ Every Bloggers Best Friend) Glad she shared Your Post.... Your Nature Jar is BEAUTIFUL ~ I Love it, makes me Smile & Long for Spring ~ Now I think I will stay awhile & check out your Blog
Come Visit if you get a chance....
Cheryl

Julie Ann said...

Hi Kerry :) I saw your Spring jar on Dawn's blog this morning and it's just Gorgeous!!! I love the colors and those willows! Beautiful work :)

Dixie said...

Hi Kerry... I'm visiting from Dawn's blog... I saw your beautiful jar and found it too irresistable not to visit... We're farm folk too... and I love it... thanks for the pretty photos showing your step-by-step... I may give this one a try!

blessings. Dixie

Auntie Cake said...

Love your Spring-in-a-Jar, I do!!! Thanks to Dawn for sharing your sweet site!
Kate

chicroses said...

Hi, I so have enjoyed your jar..oh I need a nest..I am painting one right now with robin eggs in it though. Just have to find a robin feather so I can see the colors to add a feather to my old molding. I did see once on our PBS channel (TV) about Sook Harbor Inn..love to go there..what a beautiful place you live in.Love your little felt animals..so much talent...Sally

Vee said...

Visiting from Dawn's...Oh, this is so creative and lovely and SIMPLE. Simple enough for me to try...only I'll wait for spring and work on a winter assemblage. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jann said...

This is just so gorgeous!

Rustique Gal said...

Hi Kerry, Dawn sent me, and I'm glad she did! This project is right up my alley-I Love it! I was in BC last summer and home to go back for more soon. I live in the country in Western Massachusetts and love to craft with found nature. THANKS!
Sherry

vintage tickled pink said...

kerry- new to your blog. love it. i also follow dawns almost daily. this jar inspires like no other. i love the nests, eggs, branches the real stuff i mean. love it!!! diane from vintage-tickled-pink

myletterstoemily said...

love it! the dickinson poem is so perfect, too!