Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Friday, June 4, 2010

Song for Friday...from the heart.

 There are some songs that were always there in your life...
They are part of the soundtrack of your wandering...
They sit deep down, rooted in your soul...
Always there.
You know the words.
You can pick out the tune in the distance...
Through the noise and the clatter.

There have been numerous versions of this song. Done by the late, the great, the young, the old, the classic and the alternative.
It's been many a finale at folk festivals.
Sung at weddings and funerals.
Many think it to be a Scottish traditional song but it was actually written by Belfast native William McPeake and recorded in 1957.
I think this is one of my favorite takes on it. Kate Rusby has kept it simple but at the same time it builds ever so intensely with the gorgeous baritone harmonies of John Hudson and Eddi Reader.
Accompanied by some photos I took in Ireland last year.
Enjoy. Sing along.


  

2 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

how lovely. it must be so fun to be
a little scottish lass.

farmlady said...

What beautiful music. I could listen to this all day.
I think I have fallen in love with Ireland just from your photos. I would hope that you have a few of these framed on your walls. They are so lovely.
I feel a peace inside of me because of your sweet post today.