Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book review...


Every time I read a book about WW2, I am uplifted by the strength and power of the human condition.
This is the true story of Jan and Antonina Zabinski; zookeepers of the Warsaw Zoo in Poland from the onset of the war up until the end.
It is the story of two people who saved over 300, destined for death because they were Jews.
Their courage in the face of unending danger is astonishing and only part of the story of many who aided Jews in the underground, getting them out.
Taking the chances of being killed themselves.
Being brave is an understatement.
As Jan says "I only did my duty...if you can save somebody's life, it's your duty to try."
380,000 Jews lived in Poland at the start of the war.
Many did not survive.
But some people, like the Zabinskis, knew that they had to use what little power that they had to try.
Diane Akerman is a descriptive and informed writer with beautiful technique.

2 comments:

farmlady said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I will put it on my list... that keeps getting longer because I haven't been good about reading lately.

Anonymous said...

Incredible post. I also love your photos below. WOW!
I am a fellow vintage seller on Etsy.
I hope we can collaborate somehow.
xx Emily from EL Vintage.