Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Movie review...


I grew up in the suburbs of Toronto and although it was a middle class
townhouse development, our neighbours had a maid from Jamaica.
Our area was about as white as they come and I found 'Edna' the most interesting person.
She would tell these amazing stories about her life back home.
She had a big scar on her hand from where her donkey had bit her
and she swam in the ocean everyday as a child.
I suppose because our neighbours both worked and had 4 girls they needed the extra help.
From what I remember she was treated kindly and we all loved her.
I never experienced racism of the type in this movie I watched last night.
Maybe I was too young and naive to recognize it but I don't think it was
like it was in the deep south in the '50s and '60s
"The Help"
Really worth a view for the subject matter, the costumes, the music
and superb acting.

3 comments:

Suz said...

it was a wonderful movie and book

farmlady said...

I have put this movie on our list for Netflix.
I wanted to see this and missed it in the theaters.
Thanks for the reminder.

Cobalt Violet said...

The cast was amazing. They won for best ensemble cast for a feature film in the SAG Awards. (I voted for them! :)