Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Song for Friday...thinking back

I remember this image from when I was a kid...
I wasn't old enough to really know what it was about but I do remember
thinking that the woman was poor, sad and scruffy.
But I also thought she was beautiful in some way.
I thought that her children were embarrassed to have their photo taken,
especially since their clothes were in such bad shape.
They looked hungry too.
Years later I learned about the Great Depression, Share Croppers and so many
people who lost everything and had nothing, trying to find The American Dream.
In these days of unsteady economies, downsizing and political mayhem
it's not hard to think that the same issues are plaguing many
in the same manner as when this photo was taken in the 1930's.
Not just our neighbours to the south but all over the world.
I've been listening to Gillian Welch and have this
hauntingly, beautiful song to share with you.
Hope you're all warm and fed.
Have a great weekend all
 


5 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

i always thought this was a photo from the
dustbowl . . . don't know why, but my family
endured that terrible time and have lots of
stories. i probably imagined the women
looking just like this.

joanne said...

there is much beauty in that face. Every line, every wrinkle, shadow, stare, show a life of bittersweet sorrow, hard work and sadness. I think it is lovely. Thanks for sharing today.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Emily...yes I think it was a 'dustbowl' picture and was on the cover of National Geographic. The title is "Mother with seven children". She was only 32 when the photo was taken. Broke poor and having to feed and keep all those kids warm.
Joanne: Yes, she is bitter sweet isn't she?

the wild magnolia said...

pictures are strong reminders and give us a look at reality.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kerry - At his blog, http://tomclarkblog.blogspot.com/
Tom Clark has, in the past, posted many photos from the Great Depression, including the first use of Kodachrome. I think the archive is the US Library of Congress, and has shared much anecdotal information about the photographers who chronicled the times. Gillian Welsh's music, like Woody Guthrie's, help tell what must be millions of stories. I wish these times were far less reminiscent. Also, thought of you when I heard of the earthquake and hope all is well. xo