Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fun and fir and feathers...

There's something about the Fall Fair.
It's the excitement of winning ribbons and the sure end of summer.
It's on Labor Day weekend and has been going on for 143 years.
It's the Saanich Fair and I try to go every year. 
And even though I know what to expect, it still gives me a thrill.
This year I took my friend Regina along...

Is it the shrieking of the midway?
The warm German pretzels?
Relics of the past?
Perhaps it's the Highland dancers?
The Blacksmith pounding on the iron?
Goats, goats and more goats?
Or those lovely gentle giants?
Flying dogs?
Tiny hooves and little cowboy boots?
Laughing cows and lazy pigs?
How about those ears?
Proud roosters and crazy looking chickens?
Spinning local wool?
Produce, flowers and belly dancing scarves?
Whew!! I'm exhausted!! 
If someone were to ask me?
"what is it about the fair?"
ALL OF THE ABOVE!

3 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Ahhh! It looks absolutely lovely!! I could almost smell the hot grease and yummy foods and my mouth started watering for some cotton candy. :D
I haven't been to the fair in ages (it's always too hot here) but this has convinced me to give it another go!

farmlady said...

Oh this is truly all the joys of a Fall harvest faire... the animals most of all. Your photos of the horses, the chickens, the curious Nubian and the sleeping pig are wonderful. It's the main reason I go to the fair. Oh those sweet donkeys. Such beautiful photos but that first one of the Ferris Wheel is stunning, just stunning. You need to frame that one.... or let me buy it.

Cobalt Violet said...

How fun! Great shots! Especially lovin' that shot of ...114 was it? I want those socks and the green ones below! so cute! Such lovely animals and right now those pretzels are looking pretty good too! How fun is the fair!?