Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Putting yourself out there...

I've never been one to want to be in the spotlight, so when a friend encouraged
me to submit a piece to The Sooke Fine Arts show, I hummed and hawed about it.
First of all I wasn't even sure if one of my pieces were what they were looking for.
Secondly, I honestly don't like rejection...but who does?
I make things because it's a thing I do.
I've always done it. I enjoy creating. Maybe it's a drive in me as well.
Anyway after a bit of heel dragging, I finished up a rather large piece and took it in on submission day.
I had to wait for a week for the results.
I've had work judged for entry into craft fairs, big and small but I've never
submitted to an actual 'art show'.
This particular one has over 1500 entries with 350 chosen for the show.
I figured I was up against some pretty stiff competition and again, wasn't 
sure if my needle felting was 'art show' caliber. 
Or if I really cared.
On the morning of the posted results, I made my way to the website and found
myself a bit nervous in anticipation.
Although I had told myself it was no big deal, I started to feel the pangs of 'being judged'.
Was it good enough?
The thing about art is that it's all very personal.
There's a lot of art out there that I don't get or like but it's out there for
someone else' taste.
When I create something, I do it because I know I will enjoy it and however
it turns out, the process gives me the thrill.
Sometimes the end result isn't quite what I expect but still brings me joy.
And gratitude to know that I've been given a precious gift to be able to create.
Well to make a long story longer....
I was ACCEPTED INTO THE SHOW!!
And there it was...a big deal to me...sort of...well I guess more of a giddy feeling.
Learning to put your work out there is something artists have been struggling with forever.
Did ancient man paint on cave walls because they were a bit shy?!
For me it's about telling stories.
Making characters come to life.
When I started to sell work years ago, my friend Irma (her amazing lamps are here) taught me a lot.
I've taken much of her advice with me throughout the years and am grateful for her experience.
She had been doing craft fairs for years before I met her and had
great ideas about pricing and presentation.
Still, when I sell a piece, I sell a little bit of myself along with it.
Anyway, "Market Day" is off to the land of art shows.
If you're in Sooke during the July 23rd - August 1st stop by and have a look.
It's the 25th anniversary of the show and there's some really spectacular work there.

 


8 comments:

Suz said...

oh such amazing art!
thrilled for you
I may just have to get me one of those precious babies of yours

the wild magnolia said...

Congratulations! It is very exciting indeed. For my part, you have a good chance of winning or placing. I love it. If I were close by, I would be there, to lend moral support.

Best Wishes.

gz said...

I love the truck!!!!
No surprise they accepted your work :-)

Stone Angel said...

Just terrific - congratulations to you, A wonderful work of art.

Cobalt Violet said...

Oh my god I am so happy for you I want to cry! I am so proud of you for putting yourself out there! (I totally get the fear- I was turned down for a show 3 years ago and haven't submitted again!) You rule.

AND I love this piece! You and Griffin! It's amazing! I really am thrilled for you and inspired as well. Thank you for that.

Celebrate! You deserve it on so many levels! I am toasting to you right now!

Ciara Brehony said...

This is just gorgeous! Congratulations!! Yes, it's quite nerve-wracking, isn't it? But the thrill when you are accepted is just something else!

Katie said...

This is adorable, quaint, whimsical, sweet, and I cannot imagine any other piece stealing the judges heart like this treasure! So enjoy your blog and very different landscape than the Sonoran desert where I live and nature browse. :)

Sherry O'Keefe said...

ok, so it's august 2nd! tell us how things went. and i am SO thrilled for you! yes your art is your baby and carries with it a portion of you. the more you give, the more you have to give. and the recipient of your art is all the better. love what you do!