Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Bonus Song for Saturday...for Ritchie

The first time I heard Ritchie Havens voice I was at a party and I had
to follow the music to the sound system to see who it was on the turn table.
His voice struck such a chord in me, deep, rich and full of soul
that I knew his music would be some of my favorite to listen to in years to come.
His iconic set at Woodstock blew everyone away with his
energy and bizarre way of using his giant thumb as a capo
on the neck of his guitar.
Years later Tom and I had the great pleasure of seeing him twice.
The first was in a club which was okay but the second
time was at a small festival here in our tiny town.
It was summer, it was intimate and after the show we went to introduce
ourselves to him. He was so gracious to every person who wanted
to say hello. He looked at  each of us right in the eye and smiled
that big beautiful smile of his and then took my hand
in both of his great big hands to thank us for coming.
He was truly a genuinely beautiful person.
This song has always been my favorites.
It reminds me of the love and light that he was able to
put forth in his music.
Ritchie Havens died last week and will be missed
but his musical legacy will carry on.
 
 


1 comment:

Melody said...

and this is what I love about Blogland ~ my horizons are broadened when I very least expect it.... what a great voice! I'm so pleased you introduced me, and sorry to hear of his passing...